birding-aus

Wandering Albatross

Subject: Wandering Albatross
From: LCONOLE <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:50:00 +1000 (EET)
A documentary I saw on TV suggested that it was primarily female Wandering
Albatrosses that were being killed by Tuna long-lining in the southern
Indian Ocean (males took a more southerly foraging route). Even if I have
the gender confused, is this true for other Wanderer populations?  Is
there any information on gender proportions for wintering Wanderers in
Australian waters?  If the mortality is so gender specific, why are there
so few Wanderers here this year, unless the wintering birds here are
mostly of one gender??  Any thoughts from the salty sea-dogs on this