birding-aus

Pterodroma from land

Subject: Pterodroma from land
From: LCONOLE <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:51:09 +1000 (EET)
>From about 1982 - 1986, I worked at the Marine Science Labs at
Queenscliff, near Port Phillip Heads in Victoria.  We received a few
battered seabirds off incoming ships via the pilots, and I handled Sooty
Albatross, Grey-backed Storm-Petrel; on water quality sampling trips we
often checked out the Cape Gannet on Wedge Light .... but I digress.
During SW gale weather, I'd spend lunch time either in the car overlooking
the heads at Queenscliff, or standing in the lee of the Point Lonsdale
lighthouse just outside the heads.  I only once saw a Great-winged Petrel
(P. macroptera) from land, but on a couple of occasions saw White-headed
Petrel (P. lessoni), and in a couple of bumper winters, countless
Kerguelen Petrels (P. brevirostris; now Lugensa brevirostris).  The
lighthouse is a great vantage point for viewing seabirds during rough
weather; about a week ago all I saw from there though were Black-browed,
Yellow-nosed and Shy Albatrosses, plus the usual Tip Eagles (Silver Gulls)
etc.