Re: insects sound libraries

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: insects sound libraries
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:11:46 +0000
grazie a tutti, that means thanks to all those who contributed with information
Gianni

Il giorno mer 17 ott 2018 alle ore 13:56 JS <> ha scritto:
Here are some more natural sounds:

https://www.ars.usda.gov/southeast-area/gainesville-fl/center-for-medical-agricultural-and-veterinary-entomology/insect-behavior-and-biocontrol-research/people/richard-mankin/sound-library/

I don't have time to read the other messages, sorry.
Jan

 To: "" <m("cornell.edu","Bioacoustics-L");" target="_blank">>
 Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 10:33 AM

 Gianni,

 The recordings at http://bio.acousti.ca are
  mainly from what (was) the British Museum (Natural History)
 Collection of Recorded Insect Sounds. This collection is
 mainly on reel-to-reel tape, but also including published
 cassette tapes and vinyl. I can provide further details on
 these if you are interested.

 This preprint by Klaus Riede lists some other repositories
 for Orthoptera: https://peerj.com/
 preprints/3397/ -
  as well as discussing some of the issues with the current
 situation.

 The lack of a taxon-limited repository is not much of a
 concern to me, at least when compared to other problems. The
 first is the lack of recordings that are published alongside
 the research based on them (I am just about to submit a
 paper with a colleague
  on this). Linking publications to
 recordings is one of the main benefits of bio.acousti.ca (e.g. http://
 bio.acousti.ca/node/51466 ).

 Best,

 Ed

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra e dell'Ambiente

Banca Dati Nazionale Spiaggiamenti Mammiferi Marini
http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it

Consiglio Scientifico International Society of Ecoacoustics