Re: insects sound libraries

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: insects sound libraries
From: Ed Baker <>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 17:33:18 +0000

Gianni,

The recordings at http://bio.acousti.ca are mainly from what (was) the British Museum (Natural History) Collection of Recorded Insect Sounds. This collection is mainly on reel-to-reel tape, but also including published cassette tapes and vinyl. I can provide further details on these if you are interested.

This preprint by Klaus Riede lists some other repositories for Orthoptera: https://peerj.com/preprints/3397/ - as well as discussing some of the issues with the current situation.

The lack of a taxon-limited repository is not much of a concern to me, at least when compared to other problems. The first is the lack of recordings that are published alongside the research based on them (I am just about to submit a paper with a colleague on this). Linking publications to recordings is one of the main benefits of bio.acousti.ca (e.g. http://bio.acousti.ca/node/51466 ).

Best,

Ed