Re: low-cost hydrophones suggestions

To: BIOACOUSTICS-L <>
Subject: Re: low-cost hydrophones suggestions
From: <>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 08:20:58 -0700
Hi

You might find this useful

Romero-Vivas, E. and León-Lopez Braulio. 2010. Construction, Calibration,
and Field Test of a Home Made Low Cost Hydrophone System for Cetacean
Acoustic Research. Acoustical Society of America, 2n PanAmerican/Iberian
Meeting on Acoustics.

Marine Mammals are reliable bioindicators of aquatic ecosystems health. Since
cetacean highly relay on the use of sound for conspecifics interaction,
feeding, and navigation, research in bioacoustics becomes fundamental to
unravel the influence of anthropogenic activities on their environment and
vocal behaviour. Unfortunately, the widespread of studies in this area are
often limited for the lack of affordable equipment. This paper first describes
how to build a low cost hydrophone suitable for cetacean acoustic research and
then shows how to perform hydrostatic pressure tests and acoustic calibrations
using easily available tools. Finally, field recordings of individuals of two
dolphin species: long-beaked common dolphin (Delphinus capensis) and
bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in La Paz Bay, Baja California Sur,
Mexico using the proposed hydrophone and a professional hydrophone system
[AQ-1s and ITC-1042 transducers (10 Hz - 100 kHz)] are compared.

© 2011 Acoustical Society of America

free PDF (full text):

http://asadl.org/poma/resource/1/pmarcw/v11/i1/p010001_s1?bypassSSO=1

Regards

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:13:50 +0200,  wrote
> Dear list members,
> we are looking for some low-cost hydrophones and
> I'll be glad to hear some suggestions from you.
>
> I just stumbled upon this:
> http://www.aquarianaudio.com/h2a-xlr-hydrophone.html
> and was wondering if someone here has some opinion
> about it. The price (~200usd) is what we thought to
> spend.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gianluca

Dr. Eduardo Romero Vivas
Acústica y Procesamiento Digital de Señales
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas del Noroeste, S.C.
http://www.cibnor.mx/es/investigacion/grupos-de-investigacion/grupo-de-
bioinformatica/inicio

CIBNOR