RE: low-cost hydrophones suggestions

To: <>, "'BIOACOUSTICS-L'" <>
Subject: RE: low-cost hydrophones suggestions
From: Mario Rivera <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 12:21:48 -0600
Well , if you don't care about calibration , you are not determining source
levels , tL experiments ,(and a lot of etc) , you may want to make your
owns.

Its not difficult IF you have affinity to manual work, some experience in
electronics and resin work  and believe me its fun.
Following the NOAA guidelines it cost around 150-200 to make one (it may
vary with the availability of components in your country).

In the market there are "low cost" basic equipment such as the SS03-10 Sea
phones of Cetacean research (This model is NOT scientific but is brand that
I strongly recommend) or the dolphin ear. You should want to ask them prices
and/or recommended use, etc.