Re: Recording equipment for student

To: <>
Subject: Re: Recording equipment for student
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:50:07 EDT
Edirol R1 is limited to 44.1 kHz sampling; the same limit applies to all
minidisc (MD) recorders.

Other cheap solid state recorders go up to 96 kHz sampling, but the frequency
response in the upper range must be verified. MAudio MT2496 is okay for
frequency range but a bit noisy (high output mics are required to overcome this
problem) and with a poor phantom powering limited to 32 V (many mics work ok,
others may not).

To get at least 80 kHz bandwidth, you need 192 kHz sampling, which is available
in a few portable recorders, but response is not necessarily extended as one
might want:
   Sound Devices 722 (the response falls smoothly above 60 kHz, -6 dB at 80
kHz, -10 dB at 92 kHz)
   Fostex FR2 (flat up to 92 kHz)
   Tascam HDP2 (Joe Olson reported recently that its response falls down to -20
at 80 kHz)

Another viable solution is to use a laptop with a suitable audio interface. To
get 90 kHz bandwidth I could suggest the MOTU Traveler (4 mic in with P48, 4
line in, low noise, FireWire interface, external DC powering) that costs less
than $1000.

To learn more about frequency response and anti-aliasing features (that affect
the usable bandwidth) of some recorders and audio interfaces visit our web page
at

              http://www.unipv.it/cibra/res_techtest_uk.html

Gianni

At 05.44 17/06/2006, you wrote:

> I am curious if anyone could recommend some field recording equipment,
> digital disc recorder, for an individual interested in bioacoustics? The
> Edirol R-1 model? I am looking for something affordable for a student,
> certainly less than $1000. A sampling rate allowing for recording of
> ultrasound is desirable. I have experience field recording with a minidisc
> recorder for non-scientific purposes, and I am getting ready to pursue some
> undergraduate research in bioacoustics.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> --

Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel         +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921