Re: Recording equipment for student

To: <>
Subject: Re: Recording equipment for student
From: "Pawel Kusmierek" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:54:54 EDT
AFAIR R-1 does not allow ultrasonic recording.

R-4 does, but it's much more expensive.

The new Tascam HD-P2 records at 24/96 kHz but it's quite expensive, and despite
96 kHz converters, the published frequency response is not very impressive.

Another option is Marantz PMD-671, though some people have complained about
noisy mic preamps.

M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 is cheap and records at 96 kHz, but the frequency
response in unknown. M-Audio did not publish it. Also, be advised that
this unit suffered from numerous flaws - Google for it. Some might have
been corrected by software updates, others most certainly not: like
substandard Phantom Power voltage.

Pawel

David Flores wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone could recommend some field recording equipment,
> > digital disc recorder, for an individual interested in bioacoustics? The
> > Edirol R-1 model? I am looking for something affordable for a student,
> > certainly less than $1000. A sampling rate allowing for recording of
> > ultrasound is desirable. I have experience field recording with a minidisc
> > recorder for non-scientific purposes, and I am getting ready to pursue
> > some undergraduate research in bioacoustics.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

-- Pawel Kusmierek PhD
Department of Physiology and Biophysics