impact of infrasound on small marine mammals?

Subject: impact of infrasound on small marine mammals?
From: Verfuss Ursula <>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:53:35 -0800
 I'd like to forward following query from Klaus-Richard Sperling
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . Please respond directly to him.

 Thanks! Ursula
 _______________________________

 Question: Are there any indications giving reasons for assuming that
 smaller marine mammals could be sensitive to infrasonic noise?

 Comment: I am involved in the permission procedure for offshore
 windfarms. In that context, the question arose whether or not efforts are
 justified to avoid the "contamination" of the sea by infrasonic noise.
 The large size of the windmills (and the hollow spaces therein which
 would act as resonators) make it likely that they will be a source of
 infrasonic noise. Is it justified to make efforts to suppress such
 noise? To my knowledge the latter is, in particular, transported over
 long distances in the sea.

 At the places where the windfarms shall be built smaller marine mammals
 and some fishes might be affected. General opinion is that large whales
 react to deep frequency noise, smaller ones to higher frequencies only.
 That is the reason why some people believe that efforts for the
 avoidance of infrasonic noise are superfluous.

 Infrasonic noise is difficult to measure. That is the reason why as far
 as I know hitherto no proof could be given for the sensitivity or
 insensitivity of smaller marine mammals to infrasonic noise. And that is
 the reason for my question, if there are any facts, who at least give
 rise to the suspicion, that they are sensitive or not.

 Klaus-Richard Sperling
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]