Re: Sampling digital audio for computer analysis

Subject: Re: Sampling digital audio for computer analysis
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 06:11:06 -0700
 <tt>Many sound boards and external audio devices (USB, FireWire) have digital
 IO capabilities to transfer a digital recording to a file.</tt><br>
 <tt>Though, it is important to carefully verify the digital I/O capabilities
of
 the board you use: some devices - even expensive - don't perform direct
 digital transfer of data but they do perform a real-time sampling rate
 conversion (SRC). This might be sometimes useful, for example to downsample
 to 44.1kHz a 48kHz DAT recording for CD mastering purposes. Unfortunately,
 in these devices, sample rate conversion may occur even if transferring a
 48kHz DAT recording to a 48kHz sound file!! This unnecessary data
 conversion introduces artifacts that in most cases are not relevant, though
 it is preferable to avoid them. To preserve the quality of the original
 data the sound boards should lock on the incoming sample rate to transfer
 samples to the PC as they arrive, without any sample rate conversion.<br>
 Often sound boards' documentation does not provide information about this
 feature and only an accurate test can show if SRC occurs.</tt><br>
 <tt>To find cheap cables for digital IO with SONY D7-D8 and others, I suggest
 to visit<br>
 http:www.core-sound.com</tt><br>