Sampling digital audio for computer analysis

Subject: Sampling digital audio for computer analysis
From: Howie Watkins <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:12:28 -0700
[132.236.56.27])
         by elist02.mail.cornell.edu (8.9.3p2/8.9.3) with ESMTP id FAA22389
 As everyone is talking about their equipment at the moment I thought the
 following might be of interest:

 Transferring your beautiful DAT data to PC for review, analysis, creating
 "new age" CDs, whatever...

 The Soundblaster Audigy Platinum soundcard has SPDIF and optical input and
 output and is an affordable add-on (alternative soundcard actually) for any
 desktop/tower PC with free PCI slots (
 <a  href="http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy/";
rel="nofollow">http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy/</a> ).  Audiowerk 8
by Emagic is a
 dedicated card for recording and producing multitrack sound which also has
 excellent SPDIF input and output facilities - think it might have been
 discontinued however as can't find any for sale.  Shame. If anyone would
 like to play with one, I have a spare, but I'd recommend the Audigy for ease
 of use any day.

 For many, the Sony Datman range is still the recorder of choice for many (I
 use a TCD7, current model is TCD10 -
 <a  href="http://www.canford.co.uk/catalogue/pdf_files/page615.pdf";
rel="nofollow">http://www.canford.co.uk/catalogue/pdf_files/page615.pdf</a> ).
Interestingly,
 this model has a non-standard SPDIF port and you need to spend a fortune
 buying one from SONY, unless you deal with an alternative vendor like:
 <a
href="http://dvdrecorder.american-digital.com/prodsite/category.asp?c=175&name=Klo";

rel="nofollow">http://dvdrecorder.american-digital.com/prodsite/category.asp?c=175&name=Klo</a>
 neCables.  I bought mine off someone else, based in the USA, who makes them
 even cheaper (and really cheap optical cables too) but I can't find the
 invoice.  If anyone is interested in this kind of product, please send me a
 personal email and I'll dig out the information ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

 Regards

 Howie Watkins
 Gower Marine Mammal Project
 Sound Recordist
 www.gmmp.org.uk

 --
 Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora.
 William of Ockham (ca. 1286 - 1347)