birding-aus

Gilbert White anticipating a modern concept

To: calyptorhynchus <>
Subject: Gilbert White anticipating a modern concept
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 12:51:29 +0930
That;s how we picked the Spitfires from the Messershmidts in the B of B

On Tue, 23 May 2023 at 12:47, calyptorhynchus <> wrote:
I was reading the Natural History of Selbourne recently (as you do) and came across this in a letter of 7 Aug 1778:

A good ornithologist should be able to distinguish birds by their air as well as by their colours and shape, on the ground as well as on the wing, and in the bush as well as in the hand. For, though it must not be said that every species of birds has a manner peculiar to itself, yet there is somewhat in most genera at least, that at first sight discriminates them, and enables a judicious observer to pronounce upon them with some certainty.

Our concept of jizz perhaps.

--
John Leonard

<HR>