birding-aus

3 categories of THREATENED

To: "'Jonny Schoenjahn'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: 3 categories of THREATENED
From: "Ross Macfarlane \(TPG\)" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:53:30 +1100

Commonwealth http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/species:

Threatened fauna and flora may be listed under Section 178 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) in any one of the following categories:

  • extinct
  • extinct in the wild
  • critically endangered
  • endangered
  • vulnerable
  • conservation dependent

Victoria https://www.environment.vic.gov.au/conserving-threatened-species/threatened-list:

Threatened List and Processes List

The Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988 (The FFG Act) provides for the listing of taxa (genera, species, subspecies and varieties), threatened communities of flora and fauna and potentially threatening processes.

There are 3 lists:

  • The Excluded List contains native flora and fauna taxa which are not to be conserved because they constitute a serious threat to human welfare (Note: the only item on this list is "human disease organisms")
  • The Threatened List contains taxa and communities of native flora and fauna which are threatened
  • The Processes List contains potentially threatening processes.

Over 730 species, communities and threats are currently listed under the Act.

Upcoming changes to the FFG Act Threatened list

Currently, Victoria has multiple lists of threatened species - those listed under the FFG Act, and non-statutory lists called the Victorian Threatened Species Advisory Lists.

Recent amendments to the FFG Act will remove duplication by establishing a single comprehensive list of threatened flora and fauna species. This will continue to be known as the FFG Act Threatened List. When the new comprehensive list comes into effect the Advisory lists will be revoked.

Ross Macfarlane