birding-aus

Jer-RIG-onee - or Gur-RIG-onee - or GRIG-onee? (But not Jerry-gone.)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Jer-RIG-onee - or Gur-RIG-onee - or GRIG-onee? (But not Jerry-gone.)
From: Casimir Liber <>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 08:08:50 +1000
In English the 'G' would be soft, hence 'J' as initial sound. I have never heard anyone pronounce it with a hard 'G'
Cas

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:47 PM Richard Nowotny <> wrote:

This pronunciation question seems to have been a contentious subject for Australian birders since the common name of the several species in the genus Gerygone was changed from fly-eater and/or warbler to the genus name, as recommended by the RAOU (Recommended English Names, RAOU 1978).

Some years ago, seeking to address my own ignorance, I posted an enquiry on Birding-Aus requesting informed comment on the subject, only to receive nothing apparently authoritative. Responses suggested all three pronunciations, seemingly based on little more than personal belief, typically arising from usual practice.

I note Jason Polak’s comment that he learned it as “ger-RIG-a-nee” from ‘one of Sean Dooley’s books’, but it is unclear as to whether that is a hard ‘g’ (gur) or a soft ‘g’ (jer).

I own a copy of the wonderful Australian Bird Names – A Complete Guide by Ian Fraser and Jeannie Gray (CSIRO 2013) in which the matter is dealt with as follows:

Gerygone Gould, 1841 [dje-RI-go-ne]: ‘child of song’, from Greek gerugonos, child of song (an echo), geruo, sing (including to sing of or celebrate), and gone, offspring or birth. (Note that due to technical difficulties I have omitted the accents on the Greek letters which are shown in the book.)

I don’t know just how authoritative this is but it strongly suggests that Jer-RIG-oh-nuh (with a soft ‘g’ and perhaps no distinct ‘nee’ at the end) is the correct/preferred pronunciation.

Other contributions?

Richard