birding-aus

Bathing birds

To: Penny Brockman <>, "" <>
Subject: Bathing birds
From: Kim Sterelny <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 13:41:50 +0000
I am near Central Tilba, just south of Narooma. I too have a few pedestal birdbaths, and I get a good range of small to medium size birds using these (the largest are satin bowerbirds, king parrots, and bronze cuckoo doves; the smallest are weebills, and you can see how small they are as robins and fairywrens look gigantic nest to them). By far the most enthusiastic bathers though are the yellow robins, who look amazingly scruffy after a bath with their feathers all puffed up.

But I have also hung a few 2-litre plastic yoghurt buckets from suitable small branches in a couple of trees (not too high, so they are easy to re-fill) and while these are by no means as pretty as the pedestal birdbaths (as my partner complains), they are very popular, especially with the small to small-medium birds that can track down to the buckets while never breaking cover. About the largest using these are crimson rosellas (who look too big, but manage), but they are used a lot by our local honeyeaters, especially Lewins, yellow-faced, and white naped; all of whom bath with much enthusiasm.

Very pleasant and lazy birding, to sit on my verandah with my binoculars, in a nice comfy chair, watching the procession in and out. My best record was 10 species in 20 minutes while eating a late brekkie

Kim

Kim Sterelny, School of Philosophy, Research School of the Social Sciences, Australian National University, Acton, 0200, ACT, Australia
or

61-(0)2-6125-2886