birding-aus

Cryptic Honeyeater

To: Phil Gregory <>
Subject: Cryptic Honeyeater
From: Andrew Bell via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 09:53:01 +0930
Did anyone ask the traditional owners of the country if it already has a name that is still known We might have ended up with better one.

Cheers

Andrew Bell

Sent from my iPad

On 23 Jan 2020, at 07:57, Phil Gregory <> wrote:

Following a great paper by Lloyd Nielsen last year in AFO, IOC has accepted the split of what is now called Cryptic Honeyeater from Graceful Honeyeater, which occurs further up Cape York  from N of Cooktown on and into S. New Guinea. Thus we have a new FNQ endemic, the split also adopted by BirdLife but with the ludicrous name of Imitatress Honeyeater (derived from the scientific name of imitatrix). There was considerable debate on IOC about what to call it, with the placeholder of Quiet Honeyeater initially, which no-one liked, and eventually Cryptic seemed like a good solution.
So Graceful Honeyeater from Cooktown south is now this species, as flagged in the Field Guide to Birds of North Queensland by Jun Matsui and I (New Holland 2019)

Phil Gregory
ornithological writer/tour leader/tour facilitator
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
PO Box 387
Kuranda
QLD 4881
Australia

Ph: +61 7 40 937 318

Email: m("s2travel.com.au","info");" target="_blank" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204);" class="">
Website1: http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com OR www.birder.travel

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>