birding-aus

eBird or Birdata

To: Garry Clark <>,
Subject: eBird or Birdata
From: Jack Worcester <>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 06:59:33 +1000
Hi Gary,

I've managed the Cathedrals on Fraser campground for 3 years now and in my experience the autumn/winter months are the best to visit. Species diversity is highest, at least among the bush birds, the weather is generally favorable and the crowds have largely departed. It can get quite cold at night however. Obviously summer would be the best time to catch waders on the west coast of the island if they're your thing, and the bigger summer storms can push more oceanic species into the east coast. Whale watching is also popular in winter, as the Humpbacks tend to hug the eastern coastline, coming quite close at times, especially around Indian Head.

Cheers,

Jack

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM Garry Clark <> wrote:
I always use eBird - find it easy to use       I couldn’t get the Birdata app to work.    My the way, I have always wanted to visit Fraser Is. When is the best month to see the most bird species?
Regards, Garry

> On 6 Jun 2019, at 7:41 am, Jack Worcester <> wrote:
>
> I'm interested in opinions regarding the scientific usefulness of standardised surveys (2ha/20min) submitted to either eBird or Birdata. I understand data entered under a specific format into eBird will be incorporated within Birdata at quarterly intervals, but I don't believe there is any data flow in the other direction. I use Birdata to conduct monthly standardised surveys around our property on Fraser Island, however the local QLD Parks and Wildlife Service have suggested eBird data is more useful and easier to access compared with Birdata. From a purely scientific point of view, where's the best place to upload the data?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jack
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list