birding-aus

Magpie-Lark behaviour

To: <>, "'birding-aus \(E-mail\)'" <>
Subject: Magpie-Lark behaviour
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 10:51:25 +1000

Now that is a funny one. The Magpie-lark is derived from flycatchers. It is not a magpie or a lark. It could not possibly be derived from waders because, at the most immediate level, it is a passerine, which is a long way from being a wader. I suggest we probably don’t see this behaviour in urban Australia because (apart from Canberra where kangaroos are abundant) we don’t see kangaroos in urban Australia. The bird you saw was likely either obtaining insects (food) from the kangaroo, or plucking fur, for a lining to its nest. Many birds (I believe it is mainly honeyeaters noted for doing this) will pluck fur from living mammals for their nest but we don’t see that in waders in Australia largely because those birds don’t breed here (or most don’t). Or the question is and I have no idea whether waders do this behaviour at all, where they do breed.

Philip