birding-aus

Melbourne sparrows

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Melbourne sparrows
From: Tony Ashton <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 10:01:08 +1000
Sparrows in Nundah, Brisbane; Rowes Bay, Townsville; Ingham. Generally many people= some House Sparrows.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 9:32 AM Philip Veerman <> wrote:
It is now 42 years since I did my honours thesis at La Trobe uni (in
Melbourne, for those who don't know) comparing the social behaviour of the 2
sparrow species. Back then both were common there, although the Tree Sparrow
not as widespread (other than at La Trobe, another hot spot was the
Melbourne Zoo). After that I had 4 years in Brisbane. Funny, I can't recall
them not being in Brisbane or Sydney. It is notable that the House Sparrow
population has declined drastically in Canberra (as it has in Europe). Maybe
it is the ibis in Sydney or Brisbane that eat everything of the human mess.

Philip