birding-aus

Peregrine Falcon question

To: <>, <>
Subject: Peregrine Falcon question
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:11:25 +1100

I my experience, Peregrine Falcons seldom take stationary prey, they try to flush them into the air and them take them when in flight.

I think all the explanations given so far about the pigeons resting within a few metres of each other are valid ones.  Another possible reason is competition for “prime real estate” for foraging, resting and roosting pigeons in cities and towns these days.  Pigeons like to perch on ledges, roofs etc where they can overlook the landscape below for food scraps, especially where there are outdoor cafes and restaurants, as well as to shelter from inclement weather, roost and breed.  The Peregrines also like these areas for the same reason, but their food scraps are the pigeons feeding or flying to and from the food scraps below.  So they need the same vantage points.  There’s usually plenty of space on older buildings for pigeons to perch on, but many councils now require architects to design buildings that are less attractive to bird pests, especially in large cities like Sydney and Melbourne.  I actually spend some of my work time as an ornithological consultant advising architects on how to fine-tune their building designs to make them less bird-pest friendly.  Physical bird deterrents such as spikes, bird wire and electrified wiring on ledges are also commonly used on ledges and other perching areas on and around buildings these days, particularly older buildings.  So even though Australian towns and cities have lots of foraging areas for pigeons, and lots of pigeons, there is probably a shortage of suitable perching areas for pigeons to watch on.  I’m guessing that means some pigeons have to rest in less than ideal places sometimes, such as in close proximity to predators.

Merry Christmas Birding-aussers!

Cheers,

Stephen Ambrose