birding-aus

Peregrine Falcon question

To: Bob & Trish Sothman <>
Subject: Peregrine Falcon question
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 20:37:39 +1100
G’day Bob & Others

I have seen Peregrines on the Townsville Common take a pigeon.  The male was sitting 1-2 m behind the pigeon in level fast flight and the female stooped down from above and took the pigeon.  They moved off together presumably to share the catch.

In Suva, Fiji.  The female from the mountains used to come and live in town each ‘winter' - well known for taking pigeons over the main streets, then consuming them on the RC church spire or the Communications towers.  Fergus Clunie used to visit these sites once a week and determine what she had been catching.  Pigeons were the main prey, but she also took other species including a seabird that Neither Fergus or I had seen close to shore.

HAppy hunting

Mike