birding-aus

Sulawesi and Halmahera

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Sulawesi and Halmahera
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 20:30:21 +1100
G’day all

Another overseas plug.

I’m just back from 3 weeks in Sulawesi and Halmahera with
http://www.exploreisoindonesia.com.  This is a one man company - Royke Mananta
from Palu, Sulawesi is the owner.

Despite an earthquake, tsunami and the Lion Air plane crash in the weeks before
we left our trip was a great success with about 250 species seen and 158 lifers
for me.  My companions were a family of three from se Qld.  I hadn’t met them
before but they were excellent company and skilful, generous birders.  We
visited central, southern and northern Sulawesi and northern Halmahera.

We missed 2-3 extreme skulkers but scored with Ivory-breasted Pitta, Gurney’s
Eagle, Maleo, Purple-bearded Bee-eater, Satanic Nightjar, 20 pigeons, 13
Kingfishers, 16 parrots/cockatoos, 19 raptors and the amazing Standardwing Bird
of Paradise.

The highlight was a Bat Hawk taking a bat from a huge swarm at our hotel in
south-west Sulawesi - an unexpected record on this island apparently.

Our guide Royke was tireless in his efforts to get us 'his’ birds.  The pace
was sometimes tough but the rewards were always worthwhile.  Royke’s
organisation was faultless and all our accommodation, transport and meals were
faultless.

Another bonus of this trip was the fact that every rupee we spent stays in
Indonesia.

Highly recommended.

Cheers
Steve Clark