birding-aus

Wedge tails

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Wedge tails
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 08:43:22 +1000
Have just returned from a drive to Alice Springs (for Desart, qv if interested)
via NSW Central West and Broken Hill and back through the Adelaide Hills,
Coorong Gippsland and Princes Highway to Sydney, drives we have done many times
over the years.

The drought in NSW and Central Australia is desperate, but plenty of road kill
in the Southern areas, mainly kangaroos, but even this almost completely
disappeared north of Cooper Pedy

 Compared to previous decades the sparcity of Wedgetails was remarkable,
probably less than twenty on the trip. They used to be on virtually every road
kill which have always been almost continuous out West and up to Alice.

Plenty of Corvids, on most kills.

We have noticed the progressively lowering  numbers of wedgies in over twenty
plus years around the Corner Country, even in good years.

Any explanations?

              Regards

Michael

Sent from my iPhone