birding-aus

Good news for Abbott's Booby?

To: "<>" <>, calyptorhynchus <>
Subject: Good news for Abbott's Booby?
From: friarbird43 friarbird43 <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:27:42 +1000 (AEST)
Dear all,
Good news for Abbott's Booby? The way the story positions the reader one would think that there is no good news!

One of the things that disturbs me about this story is the way it is reported. [Even on the ABC]. ALWAYS the [traditional short term] economic argument is emphasised over the environmental.

The headline, "Christmas Island facing economic collapse as mine expansion rejected to save famous red crabs" - clearly suggests that everyone should consider this a terrible outcome. The environmental / biodiversity value is reduced to 'those red crabs'.

If we consider that mining continues until the whole island is gutted, at the end of the day the miners will still lose their jobs, the island would then face an economic crash but only after all eco tourism assets have safely been destroyed. I assume the journalist would then be happy with that option....

I want the headline; 'Huge Win - Christmas Island is protected forever!"

good birding,
Ken Cross