birding-aus

Scrubwrens

To: "Jeff Davies" <>, "'Geoff Shannon'" <>, "'Graeme Chapman'" <>, "'Mike Carter'" <>
Subject: Scrubwrens
From: <>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 16:12:26 +1000
Of course there may be rapid colour change after death. But, Jeff, how big is your sample size for that dogmatic statement? You should publish the data.

Stephen, you talk about different environments in the southeast and southwest. Most of the southwest specimens in the ANWC sample come from the big karri forests around Pemberton, and the environment on the uplands there is very southeastern.

I would also question your comments that Sericornis originated in New Guinea and eventually trickled down around the east and south coast to WA. No one, as far as I know in the phylogeographic game, thinks the Sericornithinae arose in New Guinea. All the evidence says the opposite , that it arose in Australia in the mid Miocene when it was still largely forested, and where strands adapting to sclerophylly in a continent starting to desiccate diverged into Hylacola, Calamanthus, Pyrrholaemus etc. Several lineages dispersed later to New Guinea, which only began to rise and coalesce along the north Australia coast till the late Miocene-Pliocene. One lineage was the rock warbler group (Crateroscelis), with a relict surviving today in the Sydney sandstones. Another was the cool rainforest-adapted Aethomyias group of scrubwrens which budded off a number of species in montane New Guinea and have little to do with Australian scrubwrens. A third group is Sericornis sensu stricto with two species complexes. One of the complexes is the magnirostris cluster (species magnirostris, beccarii and nouhuysi) which is shared by Australia and New Guinea, and which could have originated in either source. I suspect that the magnirostris complex began from a proto-Sericornis population dispersing to New Guinea from Australia, and speciated from subsequent to-and-fro movements across the Arafura (Torres Strait) land bridge. The other is the white-browed frontalis group which is endemically Australia. The simplest hypothesis is that ancestral frontalis orginally occurred around the east and south coasts of Australia in more sclerophyllous (but still wet) habitats than ancestral magnirostris, and has since been broken into isolates by the Pleistocene climatic fluctuations. These fluctuations separated the isolates in glacial episodes and rejoined them in warmer, wetter times, driving adaptation and speciation.

I do most definitely agree with you, Stephen, that Sericornis (bot complexes) is a humid-adapted genus, and that populations around the south and west coasts north to Shark Bay are at the limits.

That's enough from me.

Cheers,

Dick

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Davies