birding-aus

Donald Kimball - Bridge Cameras

To: "Innes, Angus" <>
Subject: Donald Kimball - Bridge Cameras
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:58:10 +0000
One omission from the list, is the Leica V LUX. Possibly because of the
price, but more likely, because of the shorter lens, which at 28-400mm
equivalent, is a bit tame by the latest standards, with one of the
Panasonic’s going out to 1200mm. I was in the market for a good bridge
camera in 2013, as was a good friend. My mate decided on a Panasonic, while
I having always wanted a camera with a red spot on the front, went for the
Leica V LUX 4 they were pretty much the same camera, with a f2.8 28-600mm
equivalent Leica lenses. Apparently, Leica got the pick of the glass for
the lenses and had a much better rendering engine. I have been very happy
with the Leica, having carted it through environments as diverse as Sabah,
Cambodia, the UK in a foul winter and Nepal up to 2500m altitude. I have
been very happy with the image quality at a good range of ISOs and very
happy with the zoom functioning. My UK mate is fairly happy with his
Panasonic, though not that impressed with the image quality at high ISOs,
which it seems is a common feature with that marque. I would suggest, that
if you come across a good second hand V LUX4, consider it. I am not sure
how many would be on the second hand ones out there. I would think that
most owners would be like me and be very happy to hang onto them. Also,
600mm is long enough for me to hand hold. Even then, a monopod would be
handy often, at full reach

Carl Clifford

Ps, I am not interested in selling my Leica.

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018, Innes, Angus <

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>