birding-aus

feather pic ATT

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: feather pic ATT
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 01:22:07 +0000
Thanks all ! –
– Yes, the email came from an iPhone, Peter.
– I'd thought Pheasant, raptor, or cuckoo, so am quite please with your
diagnosis, guys!
– But when I look at the relevant page in the recent "Aust Bird Guide" my eye
keeps going to the Eastern Koel. So,
– I've extracted the feather from the final piece of bark, & measured it (thx
Denise) – 21.5cm long (& relatively narrow), plus
– the colours are deep brown & cream/tan.

Whichever of the 2 larger cuckoos it is, the habitat still seems too dry/open,
& lacking in target nesting birds/spp. Further back along the vehicle-track the
environments get progressively denser & moister – So the notion that the
feather-construction was carried in by a juv. human still holds, I think.

Great, thank you!
Judith
SEQ 500m

> On 21 Jan. 2018, at 5:10 pm, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>
> The photo didn't come through, this screenshot from the moderation queue is
> the best I can do at the moment.
>
> Judith, did you create your email on a Mac?
>
> Peter Shute
>
> [image1.jpeg]
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 21 Jan 2018, at 5:26 pm, Judith L-A
> <<>> wrote:
>
> Whose feather is this, do you think? Note that it was found on a vehicle
> track enmeshed in bark & sticks, so was perhaps carried into the
> habitat-patch by a child - at 500m SEQ open montane heathy woodland, few
> birds ever present...
>

> Judith
> SEQ 500m
>
> <HR>