birding-aus

Are birders having an identity crisis

To: 'Iain Campbell' <>, "" <>
Subject: Are birders having an identity crisis
From: "" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:08:09 +0000
Hello Iain,
Thank you for the article.

I've been birding since the mid 80's and like most now I carry a digital
camera with me when birding. 'Back in the day' when talking to non birders a
common question was, 'Do I take pictures?' I would always answer, 'no' and I
was until recently fine with that. Birding was enough. Photographic
equipment far too expensive and heavy. I didn't want or need images. But
time and technology moves on and here we are.

I wanted to use the new technologies to engage more folk in birding. And saw
digital photography and social media as good tools to engage people in my
area.

I am the Birdlife Australia convenor for the Sunshine Coast sub branch.  So
I started a facebook page which has, as its centre, a photographic
competition [for no prizes save respect]. The motto of this competition is
'quantity not quality' as the aim of the game is to photograph as many
different bird species within the Sunshine Coast area as possible. Each
photo published is identified by a number [the number of spp taken by that
photographer], the location and the date.

Each photo needs to be identified by others in the group. By doing so we
keep the emphasis on bird identification and sites for birding and not
quality of image nor technical photography. Discussion of lenses and
equipment is discouraged and conversations about birds, birding and
locations are applauded. So far we have about 75 members and each year it
has grown.
At he risk of sounding smug it has been quite successful.

Please check it out - https://www.facebook.com/groups/870270729798921/

Any questions from people who might like to start something similar for
their area please send questions.

Finally a reminder - we met once at Bowra in western Queensland while you
were showing one of your South American guides around some Aussie sites....

Cheers now
Ken Cross