birding-aus

Are birders having an identity crisis

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Are birders having an identity crisis
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:57:51 +0000
When I began guiding in the early 1980s few of my clients carried cameras
either.  Later, most who wanted to take photographs were clients who came
alone, or with a friend or spouse.  On one occasion the birder employed my
husband to carry his huge lens for him!  Consequently, there was no friction
and just as well, because some keen listers who participated in my PhD study
had no time for photographers - they blamed them for disturbing birds before
they could be identified.  When I guided international groups photographers
were in a minority, and I suspect that their tour leaders had some regulation
to minimise friction.

Since retiring from full-time guiding in 2013 I’ve been engaged by a number of
groups mostly led by American bird tour operators.  Within these groups
birder/photographers have generally been in the minority, and it appears that
complaints from others, including spouses, have been one reason.    In this
case the reasons differed from those in my study as few of the keen birders’
partners were keen listers.  But even when I’ve taken the birders out
separately they don’t take many photos.  It may be that these mostly seniors
are less interested in listing.

Regards

Denise

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow Ph.D.