birding-aus

A Soar of Whistling Kites on the Bellarine Peninsula, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: A Soar of Whistling Kites on the Bellarine Peninsula, Vic
From: David Clark <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 02:55:17 +0000
Those who visit the Vic Birders FB page may have seen my post about a gathering
of Whistling Kites soaring above our property on the Bellarine Peninsula.  It
was difficult to get an accurate number as some would disappear behind the
Cypress Pines but I counted ten in clear view.  At times some would come down
to about 15m before soaring back up to above 100m.

A falcon flashed through their midst and but it was too high and flying too
fast for me to identify but it was probably a Peregrine or Hobby.

There were large white and dark clouds and I believe that they were accompanied
by favourable thermals.

About 15 minutes after the Kites dispersed, I noticed that some had returned,
with the falcon and a Wedge-tailed Eagle.  The Eagle then perched on our back
fence for about ten minutes until the local Magpies noticed it and harassed it
until it flew off.

It's not a bad day for raptors ... and this was all before lunchtime!

Cheers

David

Sent from my iPad
<HR>