birding-aus

First birds of 2018

To: "" <>
Subject: First birds of 2018
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:43:59 +0000
Dear Wim and Birding-aussers,

Have just read Wim's list of birds seen on New Year's Day.  What a
contrast to Gloucester NSW Australia!
Yesterday, sitting on my back deck for an hour, saw the following:

Olive-backed Oriole, Silvereye, White-browed Scrub-wren, Australasian
Figbirds with young, Magpie Lark feeding chicks, Red-browed Finch with 3
fledglings, Willie Wagtail, Dollarbirds with 2 fledglings, House
Sparrows, Lewins Honeyeater, Bar-shouldered Dove, Grey Fantail, Brown
Thornbill, A.Magpie, Eastern Spinebill, Crimson Rosella with fledglings,
Red Wattlebird with fledglings, White-cheeked Honeyeaters, Torresian
Crow, Cattle Egret, Scarlet Honeyeater, Satin Bowerbird, Rainbow
Lorikeet, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike and Common Myna.

A short trip nearby added Noisy Miners, Eastern Rosellas, Laughing
Kookaburras.

Most of the above were making use of the bird baths in my back garden
and the few flowering gravilleas.  Temperatures up to 35c in the shade.
I've now lived here for 16 years and the garden (planted mainly with
native flora) has matured providing safe foraging in the mixed trees and
shrubs. There hasn't been a great difference in the species present but
they are more often seen, in greater numbers and many with dependent
young. A big change is the number of skinks present, mainly Eastern
Striped Skinks which sunbathe and live around and under the house - I
kid myself that if I see lots of these it's a sign there are no Brown
Snakes present. Seldom see the Blue-tongues now as there is so much
cover - sometimes surprise one when weeding - gives me as much of a
shock as the poor disturbed Blue-Tongue.
Note: I don't have pet dogs or cats.

Reading Wim's note on birds that are staying further north in winter,
despite the lack of daylight - wonder what surprisesawait us in 2018 on
the other side of the world ?  The Aleutian Terns at Old Bar were
interesting 2017 visitors on the east coast.

Happy Birding to all for 2018
Penny in Gloucester, NSW, Australia.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list