birding-aus

Little Ravens chase and kill Sharp-tailed Sandpiper today at WTP

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Little Ravens chase and kill Sharp-tailed Sandpiper today at WTP
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 07:00:00 +0000
Today I watched a prolonged chase of a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (I believe -
it was moving fast) by two Little Ravens, near Beach Rd boat ramp at
Western Treatment Plant. We didn't see the start, and we don't know why
this sandpiper was chosen from a huge number of waders in the area. The
ravens chased the sandpiper constantly for about ten minutes, sometimes
both ravens, sometimes just one. The sandpiper weaved and dodged and
managed to stay just ahead of the ravens until finally it dropped into
vegetation, followed by one raven who picked it up and flew off with it.

At no time did the sandpiper attempt to join other waders, and no defence
or racket was raised by the other waders while this was happening. Did the
ravens single this bird out because it was weak? Or for another reason, or
do they make a random selection?

On searching I have found one published report of Little Ravens preying on
a STSandpiper at Cheetham wetlands, and another of Common Ravens preying on
Kittiwakes in North America.

Have others seen this?

Janine

<HR>