birding-aus

White-winged Fairy-Wrens

To: 'Chris Lloyd' <>, "" <>
Subject: White-winged Fairy-Wrens
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 00:01:24 +0000
Hi Chris,

Schodde & Mason (1999) state in relation to M. l. leucopterus:

"There are occasional anecdotal reports of the 'black' form or of blue males
with black feathering on the Australian mainland, particularly on Peron
Peninsula opposite Dirk Hartog Island and on Eighty-Mile Beach, WA (e.g.
Collins 1995), but their significance cannot be evaluated in the absence of
corroborative material; because of reflectance, the blue of the plumage in
mainland M. l. leuconotus may appear black in some lights."

Reference:

Schodde, R. and Mason, I.J. (1999). The Directory of Australian Birds:
Passerines. 851 pp. (CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood).

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW