birding-aus

OBPs and MEWs in the news

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: OBPs and MEWs in the news
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:11:14 +0000
Thanks Laurie for this article on the OBP and inducing further breeding by
altering "day length" with artificial lighting.  That has been done in
aviculture with other species for sure in North America and Europe.  I dont
want to sound too critical but a bit puzzled why this hasnt been tried
before.  Also having raised Aussie species in Captivity in Canada (not OBPs
of course!) I keep maintaining the position that blue-winged and elegant
parrots as fosters could be very beneficial.  Of course you want to only
trust OBP eggs to your rock solid super parents of either of those
species.  I know there are some birds in captivity that seem to put
absolutely everything into raising chicks.  Kind of like their mission
statement is that "we will produce young no matter what".  These type of
foster parents are invaluable in raising valuable young.  After being
raised by Blue-winged/Elegant foster parents OBPs could be housed with one
another for socializing.  While I have no proof this method would offer
tried and true potential, on a small scale i think it would be a valuable
method to explore.  No matter what any news that has more OBP numbers being
produced is stellar in my book!  Cheers  - Don Kimball

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Laurie Knight <>
wrote:

> If you haven’t seen the news, both species got guernsies the other day.
> See
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-07/adelaide-zoo-to-
> help-save-endangered-orange-bellied-parrots/8881522
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-07/rescue-plan-for-
> native-bird-after-bushfires-destroyed-habitat/8881712
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>
> </HR>