birding-aus

Scrubwrens in inner west Sydney

To: "" <>
Subject: Scrubwrens in inner west Sydney
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 08:28:57 +0000
Back in 1989 (I think) Warringal Conservation Society organised a major
planting on the banks of Banyule Billabong, (Heidelberg) with the
co-operation of (then) Heidelberg City Council.  The cover was then
blackberries and hawthorn under ancient Red Gums - with plenty of
Scrubwrens and Blue Wrens.  We persuaded the Council that on NO account
were the blackberries to be removed until the new plantings were
well-grown.  It worked, though as the trees and shrubs have grown up
into a more open woodland the smaller birds are now less noticeable.

Anthea Fleming

On 6/09/2017 5:34 PM, Michael Tarburton wrote:
>   G’day Chris
>
> It looks like both White-browed Scrubwrens and Superb Fairy-wrens will
> re-colonise areas they have been exterminated from - but it may take a long
> time .
>
> I spent a couple of hundred hours studying these scrub wrens in Wurundjeri
> Walk in Melbourne 1989-1993 and found that they spent most time in the
> blackberries along the creek, and second-most time in the native Goodenia.
> They spent most time in the thickets quietly feeding.  Council then took over
> the park and we started planting native shrubs and trees.  Council took note
> of my work for five years and then sprayed the blackberries (our work had
> taken us overseas) while the Superb Fairy-wrens were nesting in them.  We
> arrived back in Melbourne a few days later and saw a Fairy-wren at its nest -
> looking very conspicuous as the leaves shrivelled and fell off.  Both species
> disappeared.  Fairy-wrens have been seen this year - but did not stay.
> Scrub-wrens never seen again.  They would have to come from Blackburn Lake
> reserve about 2-3 km away.
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>