birding-aus

Cuckoo behaviour

To: John Leonard <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Cuckoo behaviour
From: Virginia Abernathy <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:37:30 +0000
Hi John,

That's a great question! I think this is an area that still needs a lot more
research, though there does seem to be some evidence of territoriality in some
brood parasites. For the Pacific Koel, the males constantly advertise
themselves by sitting on a high perch and giving their "ko-el" call. But its
not understood if this is for mating purposes or if the male is signalling to
other males: this is my nesting territory, back off. I have definitely seen
males fighting/posturing to one another, but again, I'm not sure if this is a
fight over a female or of an area. However, myself and many other COG members
have noted that male koels often call very close to host nests that contain
koel eggs/nestlings. I've also seen female koels very close to parasitised
nests.

In North America, female brown-headed cowbirds have been described as sometimes
being territorial and defending their breeding grounds, though their
territories often overlap. However, for cowbirds, its not as important to
defend a parasitised nest since many cowbird hosts are capable of raising more
than one cowbird.

That's my take anyway!

Cheers,

Virginia