birding-aus

FW: Orange-bellied Parrots

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: Orange-bellied Parrots
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 04:07:14 +0000

From: birdwatching
Sent: Friday, 7 April 2017 11:56 AM
Subject: Orange-bellied Parrots

Hello,

Captive-bred Orange-bellied Parrots (OBPs) will be released at the Western
Treatment Plant (WTP) in the next few weeks as part of a longer term strategy
aimed at having flocks of OBPs in our coastal habitats. This work will
complement the existing captive breeding and Tasmanian release program for the
species.  The project has been endorsed by the Orange-bellied Parrot Recovery
Team and will be delivered by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and
Planning (DELWP), Zoos Victoria, BirdLife Australia, Melbourne Water, Moonlit
Sanctuary, Parks Victoria and the Tasmanian Government.
The birds will be released in an area that is off-limits to birders to minimise
disturbance to the birds while they are in, or still dependent on, our
temporary on-site release aviaries.  We are asking that you observe any
additional restrictions to accessing areas of the WTP this autumn/winter (e.g.
track closures). If you happen to spot our aviaries, we ask that you please
stay well clear of them. There is a real risk that the birds will injure
themselves if startled in the confines of the aviaries, preventing their
release. We will have staff on site attending to the birds the entire time they
are in the aviaries.
Once the birds are released, we are hoping they will join with the wild birds
and learn how to live in winter habitats. We are all hoping this release will
be a successful start to a series of mainland releases in coming years, and
that we will all once again have the chance to see a flock of OBPs using the
habitats on, and near, the Western Treatment Plant.
Further information and publicity will be provided after the birds are out -
stay tuned for more information then.
How you can help:
Please stay well clear of the aviaries if you happen to spot them.
As always, please give all OBPs on the WTP ample space to behave naturally.
Their time here is an important period of the year when they need to stay safe
and eat well in preparation for another migration and breeding season. With so
few birds remaining in the wild, every individual is important.
Report OBP sightings at the WTP or nearby areas to Steve Davidson
<> and
Kristy Penrose <>. Steve and
Kristy will be our key people on the ground keeping track of the release group
and any wild birds in the area.
Thank you,
Rachel Pritchard, Manager, OBP Mainland Release Trial Program
DELWP,
<>
--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/tt

<HR>