birding-aus

Alice Springs : Rufous-crowned Emu-wren/ Spinifex Bird/ Dusky Grasswren

To: "" <>
Subject: Alice Springs : Rufous-crowned Emu-wren/ Spinifex Bird/ Dusky Grasswren reports
From: Matthew Rodgers <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 12:23:28 +0000
On 1 March I requested the following information:
We will be making a visit to Alice Springs soon and I was wondering if anyone
has any recent (2017 ideally) observations for Spinifex Bird, Rufous-crowned
Emu-wren and Dusky Grasswren at any of the regular sites please.

As I heard nothing we searched some of the ‘Alice’ sites and I can at least
indicate that all three species were present at the Santa Teresa 31.5km
Spinifex ridge. The car tyre wedged in the pylon site! (as measured from the
airport roundabout).  A relatively easy site to cover from the road side or the
track along the ridge to the ‘dump’ area.  The Spinifex birds were very hard to
see and were just over the high ground beyond the dump area when staying on the
ridge.
The Emu-wrens were seen 3 times near the road and numbered about 12.    The
Grasswrens were also near the road.

Dusky Grasswrens were also at Simpsons Gap almost inside the gorge.  Despite
visits to most other locations in the books I would guess the Emu-wrens and
Spinifex bird would be very difficult to see unless overnight camping was
planned.
Hope this might useful to out of town visitors.
Matthew Rodgers.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>