birding-aus

Albatrosses Killed by Helium Balloons

To: Dave Torr <>, Greg Roberts <>
Subject: Albatrosses Killed by Helium Balloons
From: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:52:57 +0000
Apparently it is illegal to release balloons in NSW but it happens often.  I
think because it is usually associated with a funeral or memorial service
that the authorities find it sensitive.  When I was a National Parks &
Wildlife Service ranger I once stopped a family from releasing balloons from
a whale watching platform during the whale migration season.  After telling
them to put the balloons back in the car they attempted to continue up the
steps saying that they wouldn't release them.  I insisted that they returned
them to car immediately copping some negative comments at the time.   They
may have just gone to a headland outside of the park and released them but
at least I did all I could to stop them.  I did explain why they shouldn't
release them but it fell on deaf ears.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy