birding-aus

Spring time is here!

To: "" <>
Subject: Spring time is here!
From: Kirri Hardy via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 03:23:08 +0000
Hi all 😊
Just thought I'd share...
There's a lot of activity with spring time and parents feeding their chicks at
present as I'm sure you've noticed. The
On my property, near the base of Mt Warning NP NSW, I've just discovered a nest
hollow in the side of a termite mound on the side of a tree. Cute to watch the
Mum & Dad Kookaburra flying back and forth with lizards and worms and
grasshoppers, and hear the sound of their unique different call as they
approach the nest and alert the chicks to their presence. I know that's going
to turn to larger sized prey soon as the baby grows ...which brings me to my
next chick we found, which is residing dangerously close to the Laughing
Kookaburra.
My kids ran to me the other day all excited to tell me that a little dove just
flew down onto the ground and crashed there. They took me to a patch of
Subtropical rainforest on our property just down the back and sure enough, it
was sitting there motionless. Kids right next to it.
Not the prettiest thing with plenty of feathers missing on its chest.
I looked up high in the tree and could see a large dove...and realised it was a
Wompoo-fruit dove and that this chick was its one and only chick (they only
have one egg and chick I believe)?
Clearly the parent new where it's chick was, so, I put the little one on a
branch, all obscured with leaves to hide in until it's parent found it.
I went back the next morning and the Wompoo parent was down low, sitting right
next to the chick, which was nuzzled into its chest.
Soooo CUTE...the baby is a little unattractive compared to the Adult but...it's
been special to watch them together at a safe distance.
Truly hoping it grows quick before the Kookaburras shift to larger prey for
their chicks.
Amazing how difficult the Wompoo and the chick are to see, all Hidden and
camouflaged...
Feeling pretty amazed that I get to see a Wompoo in my garden and a chick...
Emerald doves were also there this morning...
Take care
Kirri 😊

Sent from my iPhone
<HR>