birding-aus

Whats happened at Lake Galletly, Gatton?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Whats happened at Lake Galletly, Gatton?
From: David Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 07:08:05 +0000
Ive been a regular visitor to Lake Galletly at the UQ Campus at Gatton,
Sth-east Queensland  for many years and had some memorable birding encounters
there. At its peak there were hundreds of Pink-eared Ducks, thousands of Plumed
Whistling-ducks and similar numbers of Magpie Geese.  Mixed amongst that were
the likes of Blue-billed Ducks, Grey, Pacific Black, various Egrets, Herons,
Cormorants, shorebirds, coots, swamphens etc as well as occasional Native-hens,
Bitterns, Crakes and other rarities that have showed up there.

Over recent visits every time I go there though there appear to be less and
less birds!  Cattle Egrets have colonised the areas around both ponds and
appear to have breeding cycles a couple of times a year and then move on.

I was amazed yesterday on my way home from Durikai to visit and see so few
birds - not a Pink-eared in sight or a Magpie Goose - greatly reduced
Whistling-ducks and a tiny smattering of other birds - I noticed some rather
horrid green algae covering some of the lake and wondered if the water is
affected at some levell?  There are numbers of Cattle Egret who appear to be in
the early stages of a breeding bout but not much else. I do understand that
wetland areas can change with climate/environmental issues and this can see
variances in numbers but it does seem this terrific spot has lost its appeal
for many of the local birds lately ….. any thoughts?

Cheers

David Taylor

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list