birding-aus

Monarch hybrids

To: "" <>
Subject: Monarch hybrids
From: Jean and Paul Newman <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 01:32:58 +0000
I have posted images of three Monarchs on Eremaea for the interest of
birders.  There being insufficient space on that medium to set out detailed
comment, readers may like to view those images in the North Queensland page.
The photographs were taken in the Julatten region at different times and
places this month.

I had taken two photographs of what I felt were Black-faced Monarchs while
on a general, untargeted ramble through the bush.  The shots were taken
while the bird faced me.  The only wing detail observable in the shots were
the leading edges of the primaries and appear to be pale grey with black
markings.  While enjoying a casual viewing of my shots with a highly
experienced birding professional, he observed that the bird was "not right",
noting the pale appearance of the wing feathers.  I was "instructed" in good
humour to get back into the bush and find the bird.  I relocated two birds
the following day using playback (sorry about that!) and managed
approximately 30 shots.  The photograph sub-titled as "Site 1" is one of
those.  A further meeting was organised, this time with three very
experienced ornithologists.  I choose not to identify these gentlemen only
because I do not want them drawn, unwillingly, into what could possibly be a
contentious debate. I prefer to allow others to draw intelligent
conclusions.

The opinion of the three plus my humble vote was unanimous; hybrids -
combination of Black-winged and Black-faced.  The view was developed by the
fact that, using all shots taken from many angles, it was  demonstrated that
the bird was very pale grey, it had a grey tail,  prominent black primary
feathers with indications of black on the secondaries.  Looking at some
images after that meeting, I noticed that one bird appeared to have a very
light grey crown, nape, ear coverts, neck and throat with a clear margin to
a slightly darker grey which was still very much paler than a BFM.

In the following days I have spent considerable time in the local back
roads, attempting to find similar birds.  At a location some 5 km approx
from the first location (shown in Eremaea as Site 3) I photographed a bird
which I believe is male, accompanied by a bird which is identified in the
third photograph.  I believe they are a pair.

The male bird is a significant departure from the birds at Site 1.  It is,
perhaps, slightly darker than the first birds seen.  (I hasten to add that
none of the photographs taken have been "improved" in any way other than
cropping.)  It may be that the ambient light played a part as it was late in
the day in dimmer light.

It has a greatly extended throat patch which matches a photograph of a BWM
taken near Cooktown.  I am unaware whether or not BFMs develop such a deep
throat patch.   It can be seen to have considerably more prominent black
wings and the tail is equally darker than Bird 1, but still not wholly black
- this is better observed in other photographs taken.  The conclusion by the
previous viewers ( only two - one is yet to see this bird) is that this bird
is more likely to be a direct cross between the species.

The female, if that is accepted as being accurate, is quite similar to the
first bird photographed.

Since that observation I have located birds in three further locations, one
as far as approx 15km distant.  Many photographs record that in each case
the bird is a very pale grey individual with varying degrees of black on the
primaries and some evidence of black on the shoulders.  The tails are pale
grey in every respect at those sites.

I hope this report provokes some discussion.  I am led to believe there are
birders who oppose the belief that BFMs and BWMs can and do hybridise;  I
look forward to their opinions!  A check of available records suggests that
BWM's have only been recorded once or twice on the Atherton Tablelands -
correct?

Viewers are welcome to contact me directly if they seek further info.

Paul Newman

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>