birding-aus

[out of region] Hoopoe query

To: "" <>
Subject: [out of region] Hoopoe query
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 04:42:32 +0000
On a recent trip in China*, in Yunnan I observed two Hoopoes. I have photos of
both and one has pure white wing bars and the other pale pink (similar to the
body colour).

I have consulted various sources but all seem a bit vague about whether the
bird with the pinker wing-bars would be a female or an immature.

I wonder if anyone with experience of this sp in southern China might care to
comment.

*unfortunately I didn't see many birds on this trip as it was a touristy type
trip not a birding one, and southern China seems quite unbirdy (I only saw two
raptors the whole trip, I mean two individuals, one black-shouldered kite and
one black-faced kite =black kite).

John Leonard

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list