birding-aus

Great Birding at Marla

To: "" <>
Subject: Great Birding at Marla
From: Martin Woodward <>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 11:39:04 +0000
Hi All,

A 60mm+ rain event over a week ago around Marla, which built upon previous
winter rains, has attracted a great variety of birds in large numbers.

Over a few hours birding in recent days my son and I saw Bourke's Parrots,
Inland Dotterel, Banded Whiteface, Little Button-Quail, Slaty-Backed
Thornbill and Redthroat, as well as plenty of Orange Chats, Crimson Chats,
Budgies, Masked Woodswallows, Black-Faced Woodswallows, Diamond Doves, Zebra
Finches and Pied Honeyeaters, just to name a few.

Some birds were seen along the Oodnadatta Track east of Marla, although this
was impassable at a creek crossing about 10kms from town, whilst others were
observed beside the Stuart Hwy heading south of Marla. Care needs to be
taken when driving along the Oodnadatta Track which is still boggy in
places.

Also the motel rooms and food at the Marla Roadhouse were better than
anticipated.

Driving south to Coober Pedy on the same day we were also lucky enough to
get great views of the elusive Gibberbird.

Happy to provide further information to anyone who is interested.

Good Birding & Regards

Martin and John Woodward

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list