birding-aus

Red-bellied Pitta splits

To: Charles <>, "" <>
Subject: Red-bellied Pitta splits
From: Khaleb Yordan via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 09:43:27 +0000
Hi Jim and Charles,

Yeah Red-bellied Pitta now splitted to ten species and the one in Australia
must be the Papuan Pitta.
Cheers,Khaleb

    On Monday, August 1, 2016 10:00 AM, Charles <> wrote:

 Hi Jim,

I believe this was some time ago (like last year or the year)?

I've copied a friend of mine Khaleb (a guide from Indonesia) who is well versed
in the splits and may no more info.

We missed out on the Sulawesi species in Tangkoko recently as it had been
killed by someone a couple of weeks before (killed with a sling shot
apparently).

Cheers,
Charles Hunter

> On 1 Aug 2016, at 11:19 AM,  wrote:
>
> I haven't seen any comments here yet but for those interested in
> classification IOC (version 6.3) has now split Red-bellied Pitta into
> ten (!) separate species.
> The one in Australia becomes the Papuan Pitta. It just doesn't have
> the same ring to it! This new species has five subspecies. Who knows,
> perhaps it will be further split some time.
> Jim Sneddon

> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list