birding-aus

**advertisement** Letter-winged Kite Expeditions ex-Alice Springs

To: "" <>
Subject: **advertisement** Letter-winged Kite Expeditions ex-Alice Springs
From: Chris Watson <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 02:20:15 +0000
G'day all,

Ever the man of all things Central Australian, Mark Carter has become aware
of Letter-winged Kites commencing a breeding colony within an easy drive of
Alice Springs.

Mark has very quickly set up a series of expeditions to view these
ethereally beautiful birds through August and September. This is such a
rare opportunity to view these birds in this setting that, despite Mark
being flat out on other expeditions, we're rallying together to make sure
that the chance isn't missed. The first of these trips will be run by me
from 7th to 9th of August. Subsequent trips will be run by Mark himself or
by Alice Springs photographer Richard Waring. Mark is also offering single
day helicopter trips to the site for those interested in that option.

Details and pricing can be found at the Birding & Wildlife page here:
http://www.birdingandwildlife.com/letterwing-kite-tours/

Obviously, there is a need to move quickly on this so we can get bums on
seats and confirm the trips. There are a number of other cracking species
in the region which we'll be able to access including Gibberbird, Orange
Chat, Inland Dotterel, Eyrean Grasswren and others, but the kites will be
our main target. When we're out after dark there are a number of
interesting mammal possibilities as well.

There have been significant rains in The Red Centre this year so if you
haven't been before (and probably even if you have) this is THE time to go.
The birding around Alice Springs itself is red hot at the moment and at
this time of year the weather is perfect.

NB: We have explicit ethical guidelines that we'll be adhering to, to
ensure that the welfare of the birds and the success of this breeding event
are prioritised over birding and photographic opportunities. This is a rare
opportunity to see these birds as most of you will be aware. Feral cats
have been observed destroying a number of colonies in the recent past and
the species is being less frequently recorded across its range.

This might be the easiest this species will be to observe in the NT for
another decade.

All the best,

Chris Watson

http://www.chriswatson.com.au/