birding-aus

drones for birders

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: drones for birders
From: david taylor <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 02:04:22 +0000
This is a hot topic in Africa where Ive just been - at the gates to Etosha in
Namibia and Im almost sure at Kruger are signs clearly banning the use of
drones to photograph animals or birds. There have been instances of people
letting off drones from safari vehicles to capture images of animals or birds -
as an avid photographer the notion of great shots sounds enticing however
having seen them in action I believe drones certainly could/would have
detrimental/disturbance effect on wildlife.

Drones are a amazing technology but a can of worms in many respects ( just ask
CASA) and no doubt will become an increasingly hot topic as time goes on within
the birding fraternity I reckon, as Ive no doubt some birders/photographers
will see this technology as the next great opportunity.

Will be interesting.

David Taylor

On 23 Jun 2016, at 10:50 am, Dave Torr <> wrote:

> "almost without disturbing the birds" - are you sure about that?
>
> On 23 June 2016 at 10:09, Tony Russell <> wrote:
>
>> I've never been much good at photography, much too fiddly. However, I've
>> just been looking at drones as a way of obviating the need for scrambling
>> over rough ground , slugging away through heavy sand or mangroves, or even
>> going to sea on a pelagic trip. I'm getting too old for all that stuff. But
>> with a drone one could go out to sea, go up cliff faces, get into or over
>> all sorts of excellent places where birds go and get video pictures of
>> them,
>> almost without disturbing the birds at all. And when the batteries start
>> running out the drones come home automatically. Just imagine, no more
>> lugging tripods, telescopes, cameras, or any other heavy clutter into
>> inaccessible places or getting sick on boats. Sounds like twitcher heaven
>> me.
>>
>> Tony.
>>

>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>