birding-aus

Migrating honeyeaters

To: 'storm' <>, 'Roger Giller' <>
Subject: Migrating honeyeaters
From: Judy Leitch <>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 03:24:33 +0000
I apologise in advance as I am hijacking this thread to post re Flying Foxes
in Bateman's Bay. This is very disturbing.

"Environment' Minister Hunt as changed legislation to allow culling of bats
in Batemans Bay, might he do the same for migrating birds?

At a public meeting on Monday 16 May, Minister Greg Hunt declared a
"national interest exemption", removing all rights and protections for the
Flying Foxes, and calling for immediate action against them;
* Two consultancies have been undertaken, both organisations top of their
fields, and both recommending that dispersal in this case will not work.
Hunt committed $50,000 upfront to developing a new plan that takes into
account the revised status of the flying foxes as totally unprotected, and
committed a further $250,000 towards further action, and ongoing funding and
support into the future.

Environment minister Greg Hunt, in an unimaginable move at a public meeting
in the Bay on Monday - removed all rights and protections from the Flying
Foxes under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act
(1999). He has declared an "national interest exemption", and has declared
that there are now no barriers to prevent Council from taking any approach
at all (including FIRE!) to remove the Flying Foxes immediately.

See
https://goo.gl/eFf6H8

Judy