birding-aus

Conservation Status changes gazetted on 5 May 2016

To: Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Conservation Status changes gazetted on 5 May 2016
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 03:22:00 +0000
Thanks for this Peter.  At least looking at the second link you provided
 one comes up with a list of 49 taxa covered by the Department's
 activities on 5 May.  I went up a level in the website which gave a list
of media releases including 2 on 5 May.

One was quite straightforward listing 2 taxa that had been removed from the
list.

The other has me completely bluffed as the heading is "
<http://www.environment.gov.au/news/2016/05/06/six-amendments-species-listed-threatened-under-epbc-act>Six
amendments to species listed as threatened under the EPBC Act"
<http://www.environment.gov.au/news/2016/05/06/six-amendments-species-listed-threatened-under-epbc-act>
but for 5 of them, while they have been assessed, the outcome appears to be
that they have been *retained* in a status.  Surely that means there has
been *no* amendment for those taxa.  (I also note that the heading refers
to 'species', while two of the taxa listed are 'subspecies'.)

With an election coming up I feel a need to understand official
pronouncements so would appreciate someone explaining the apparent
contradiction.

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

<HR>