birding-aus

On seeing Turquoise Parrots

To: "" <>
Subject: On seeing Turquoise Parrots
From: Geoff Ryan <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:40:37 +0000
*ON SEEING TURQUOISE PARROTS*

The little parrots flutter down, like gilded leaves just shed

Their wings edged opalescent blue with a brilliant flash of red

They disappear amidst the grass to feed upon the ground

Reaching, picking, crunching, scratching but making not a sound.

A common fright, they quickly rise to an ancient cypress tall

Concerned alarm broadcast around with a shrill excited call

They perch so still and silent as paying not a heed

Then on some unseen signal they disappear at speed.

I hope again to see these little jewels extant and free

But have this awful feeling that maybe this won’t be

Their innocence and beauty so tragically passé

It seems to me that they belong to a time that’s slipped away.

*Geoff Ryan*

2011
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list